Well, here we are at the halfway point of 2014. As a whole, the first half year of 2014 isn’t as strong music-wise in my personal opinion versus the first halves of years past. In fact, I don’t think I have found yet my favorite album of the year like in previous years. In 2013, for example, I already knew that Vampire Weekend already will be my favorite album as early as the end of the first half. Still, we did get a lot of underrated gems in these first six months, just not any clear standout mega-album.
Listed below are my top 20 albums for the first half of 2014. The rankings are arbitrary and still subject to change and move around by year end.
My favorite song for each album is embedded.
20. tUneYaRds – Nikki Nack
19. St Vincent – St Vincent
18. The Orwells – Disgraceland
17. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart – Days of Abandon
16. Warpaint – Warpaint
15. Conor Oberst – Upside Down Mountain
14. Wye Oak – Shriek
13. Fear of Men – Loom
12. First Aid Kit – Stay Gold
11. Future Islands – Singles
10. Cloud Nothings – Here And Nowhere Else
9. Strand of Oaks – Heal
8. Sam Smith – In The Lonely Hour
7. Sun Kil Moon – Benji
6. The War on Drugs – Lost in the Dream
5. Lykke Li – I Never Learn
4. Sharon Van Etten – Are We There
3. Real Estate – Atlas
2. Angel Olsen – Burn Your Fire For No Witness
1. Parquet Courts – Sunbathing Animal